Saturday, August 2, 2008

 

Adebayor Always Wanted to Stay

Laughing my arse off at that one!

Football clubs treat their fans as mugs. Always have and always will.

But this really takes the biscuit. After spending all summer angling for a move away from Arsenal, a move he intimated at in an interview with a Singapore paper at the end of last season (story now taken down), Adebayor has declared his intention is to stay.

Arsene Wenger goes along with the spin.

“Adebayor is an Arsenal player and will play for Arsenal next season,” said the Frenchman. “For me [there has been] no trouble because when a player is a true professional he goes onto the pitch and tries to play the football he loves.
“What is very damaging sometimes is that the player gets bad publicity against his own fans for things he has not said. That is sometimes difficult to repair. There is disappointment from the fans because they feel the player wants to go.
“But all I can say is that when I was face-to-face with him he always said his priority was to stay at the Club. And I told him that he has got his priorities right.”

Bollocks! He did say he would leave!

Adebayor is staying for one reason and one reason alone. No other bugger would pay his daft wage demands.

His priority is and always has been himself. If he was so set on staying why didn't he ever come out and say so unequivocably? Instead we get a summer of contradictory quotes from the Togolese forward who has had one good season in football but who 'went missing' at a crucial stage.

I have the same respect for footballers as I do for politicians and lawyers. They are a scummy breed, a necessary evil, but still unclean. Luckily I don't meet too many from the Premier League or I would forever be dousing myself with disinfectant.

There are very few players in the modern game I respect. In the past I even respected Glenn Hoddle's ability. But today there are very few.

I pity the poor saps who rush out and get their 'heroes' name printed on the back of their overpriced club shirt.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]