Friday, June 12, 2009

 

When 6-0 isn't enough

When 6-0 isn't enough
i'm never going to be one of England's biggest fans. Don't get me wrong I used to go to Wembley back in the day and even did my bit in foreign lands for the 3 Lions. Even now as I age disgracefully I can still be found sometimes wearing an England football shirt, stretched over my widening girth and displaying my beer gut in all its glory. With my naval clearly visible I call it 'doing a Brittney'.
A 100% start to a world cup campaign ain't to be sneezed at by anyone. Days gone by we'd wonder if we'd ever see another goal. Under Fabio they come by the bagful. Happy days for sure.
To be sure it's only the qualifying round. Thumping Andorra 6-0 doesn't mean the World Cup is as good as England's. No one seriously believes that outside of the playground and the tabloid press-room.
What it is though is a good start. Visiting former satellites of the Soviet empire and thumping them does not mean Spain and Brazil would roll over so easily. But you can only beat what's in front of you and till now Fabio's men to be handling that fairly well.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]